1. Make sure your RSS icon is highly visible and is placed above the fold. Meaning on the top of the page without having to scroll down to view it.
2. Don't overwhelm your new subscribers with extraneous posts. You don't want their feed to be cluttered with posts they don't want to read, which could lead them to unsubscribe from your blog. So make every post count.
3. Use your RSS feed link when you comment on other blogs. Instead of using your blog URL, put in your feed URL and that way it leads people to your feed to subscribe.
4. Make sure to display the RSS icon on every page of your blog. That way people don't have to go back to your home page to subscribe if they decide to follow your blog. Remember people are busy, make it easier for them every step of the way.
5. Urge your readers to subscribe at the end of every post.
6. Make it easy for visitors to subscribe to your blog. Make the subscription button highly visible and easy to utilize.
7. Offer your readers something for free in return that they subscribe to your blog. This can be done with a free ebook, newsletter, giveaway or contest.
8. Offer category feeds so visitors can choose a specific category or topic that interest them. This way they don't have to subscribe to the entire blog.
9. Utilize cross RSS promotion. Get other bloggers to advertise and promote your blog feed on their blog and vice versa.
10. Make sure to explain to your readers or visitors what RSS is so they know why it's important to subscribe and utilize it. Some people have no idea what the RSS icon is for and thus they don't use it.
One helpful tip: Make sure to check your feed periodically to make sure your feed is working and your link is working.
Hope you found some helpful tips today. Now be a dear and please subscribe to my RSS feed in the upper right hand corner :-)